Saturday, June 22, 2013

Let's Get Poppin' Again!


It may seem I have completely forgotten about this blog.  Not really.  I have been sitting on it, hiding it under a bushel, shoving it into the darkest recess of my mind’s closet.  It has had a long winter’s nap, but now it is time to pull it out, dust it off, and face it. Summer has bloomed, and now it’s time to plug in the popcorn popper!

To tell the truth I have not felt much like partying over the past year.  Living in humble circumstances away from my usual haunts, I have been honored to assist my parents through some difficult times by cooking, scrubbing, laundering and dealing – with hospitalizations, falls, chemo, eye drops, trips to radiation, and “Old Timer’s” dementia.  Fortunately we made it through this crisis period, and now we are in the eye of life’s hurricane for a season.

One day while drowning in a flood of my own tears, I came up for a breath of air.  What did I notice?  I noticed that my house is falling apart and my lawn is dying and my grandchildren miss having their grandmother around.  The time has come to go home and pick up the pieces.  It is time to start where I left off over a year ago.  It is time to return to my own life, full of youngsters scampering about and driving me absolutely crazy – with vitality and joy swirling around me.  Like Dorothy’s tornado, they capture me and take me on a journey along the yellow brick road to our own imaginary place where love abounds and everything, and everybody, lasts forever!   

Yes, it is time for the Popcorn Party to begin anew.  Reading, talking, swimming, shopping, and visits to the zoo!  Sprinkle on the cheddar, pour on the butter, and coat it with caramel.  It is time to dive into the popcorn bowl again! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment